Wednesday 16 June 2010

The Garbage Pail Kids

Can you remember The Garbage Pail Kids? Originally released in 1985 as collectable sticker cards they were designed to parody the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. I spent all my pocket money on them and eventually amassed the entire collection. I wonder if they are still packed away in boxes back at my parents house in Canada. More to the point, what value would they have if my parents had saved them . . . I wonder? What was so great about these Garbage Pail Kids? Well, each sticker card featured a Garbage Pail Kid character with some comical abnormality, portraying them suffering some terrible fate. What made them so special and down right funny to kids of my age back then was their play on names. You had - Barfin' Barbara, Acne Amy, Potty Scotty, Adam Bomb, Bony Tony, Babbling Brook, Nervous Rex and Frigid Bridgit, just to name a few. You always hoped they used your name, the closest I got to my name was Itchy Richie who was covered in little black spiders. These wacky disfigured kids even went on to star in their own movie, a live action film, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie. Sadly it was a massive box office bomb when it was released way back in 1987. Oh Well! I wonder if a Garbage Pail Kids revival is on the horizon?

No comments:

Post a Comment